Direct Access allows members of the public and businesses to seek expert legal advice from a barrister, without the need to use a solicitor first. The scheme will save you time and money in your legal matters, as well as making the process easier.
Our barristers are experts in their areas and therefore ideally placed to advise you through your legal proceedings. They are approachable and always willing to take the time to help you understand the details of your case.
Our experienced clerks who act as agents for the barristers and will help identify the most suitable barrister for your case.
To get in touch with the team please email Senior Clerks, Paul Eeles and Steven Wright, by phone on +44 (0)20 7242 3555 or complete the enquiry form.
Click here to view the BSB’s Public Access Guidance.
For more information about your legal choices please click here.
7BR teams providing Direct Access
What can a barrister do for you under the scheme?
- Give expert legal advice.
- Draft documents (e.g. contracts and standard terms of business).
- Draft letters for you to send (although a barrister may not sign or send the letter on your behalf or write on his own notepaper).
- Advise you on the formal steps to take in proceedings.
- Draft formal court documents (e.g. statements of claim, defences etc.) for use in those proceedings.
- Prepare statements for litigants and witnesses from information supplied.
- Advise on the choice of an expert witness if required and draft a letter of instruction to that expert.
What are barristers not allowed to do?
- Issue proceedings on your behalf or take other formal steps in proceedings.
- Investigate or collect evidence for use in proceedings
- Instruct an expert witness on your behalf.
- Take responsibility for the general management of a client’s case or business affairs.
- Handle a client’s money.