A family from Derbyshire has been awarded a six-figure settlement following a house fire that left them homeless over Christmas in 2017.
Jessica Watts purchased a new Bush washing machine for her family from Argos in November 2016, in advance of a move into a new property.
In October 2017, Mrs Watts used the machine to do a load of washing leaving it overnight after it had finished its cycle. A fire broke out the following morning which caused significant damage to the house including damage to water pipes which caused water damage alongside the fire damage. The family had to move out whilst the house was repaired.
Argos initially denied liability for the incident but subsequently admitted that the appliance was “defective” for purpose of the Consumer Protective Act 1987 and they were negligent.
A member of the Clerking team will help you resolve your request.
Yes, please call Chambers mainline number +44 (0)20 7242 3555 and you will be directed to the out of hours phone lines.