7BR are one of the first leading chambers to have a dedicated Motor Sports team. Our motorsport team has first-hand experience of the sector, with a knowledge of and connections to the automotive and fine-tuning industry. In addition the team has a wide-ranging knowledge of the structure and function of motorsport in the UK, from vintage car rallies to small race meetings; from club championships to touring cars; from karting to Formula 1.
The Motorsports Law Team has a wide range of specialist expertise that covers both commercial and civil disputes, in addition to personal injury and damage caused in connection with motor-racing. Specific examples of the type of work undertaken includes:
- Consumer Protection Act claims: advising generally on issues relating to defective products in the motor industry. Specifically, advising major manufacturers including Audi and Renault in disputes arising from alleged defective electronic equipment and braking systems
- Commercial and employment disputes relevant to motorsport: for example, we have experience in advising on the sponsorship contract for a major UK race championship
- Serious Personal Injury actions relating to motorsport: for example, a number of claims arising out of accidents on the production lines of car manufacturing factories
- A serious injury at a high profile UK racetrack to a motorcyclist following a collision between riders during the course of a competitive race
- Coroner’s work: Inquest work relating to motorsport accidents: for example, an inquest following the death of a driver on a racetrack with issues concerning the competence and actions of the race stewards