Nigel is ranked as a leading silk for crime by both The Legal 500 (2007) and Chambers & Partners (2008), where he is described as "a fantastic operator who is renowned for his work on complex criminal cases".
He has been instructed in some of the most high-profile murder and violence cases of recent years. Nigel is also widely recognised for his expertise in cases involving breaches of health & safety law and allegations of corporate manslaughter.
Recent key cases
- R v Parviz Khan & Ors : leading counsel for prosecution in the Birmingham terrorist kidnap plot case
- Environment Agency v Grosvenor Waste Management Ltd : acting for a company prosecuted for illegally exporting waste overseas
- R v Marcus Ellis & Ors  EWCA Crim 1155; 1 WLR 3130: defending in the 2005 trial concerning the drive-by shooting of two teenage girls in Birmingham. Now a leading authority on witness anonymity in criminal cases
- R v Colin Gunn & Ors (2006): the "Trusthorpe murders" - the revenge killing of John and Joan Stirland in their own home by an organised gang
- R v Momodou & Ors  EWCA Crim 177; 2 Cr App R 6: leading prosecution counsel in the trial for arson and violent disorder of residents of the Yarl's Wood Immigration Detention Centre. After unsuccessful appeal became guideline case on the treatment and training of witnesses
- R v Hudson & Ors (2005): successfully defending in the trial of eight members of the same family prosecuted for the torture and murder of an in-law
Contact Nigel Rumfitt QC
Phone: +44 (0) 20 7242 3555
Fax: +44 (0) 20 7242 2511