Rated as a leading junior for criminal fraud by The Legal 500 and Chambers and Partners, Andrew is described as a highly regarded junior known for his “can-do, co-operative attitude”. He has extensive experience in relation to the prosecution and defence of serious fraud, associated money laundering and proceeds of crime restraint/confiscation, and compliance/regulatory matters – and has a detailed knowledge of evidence gathering from, and asset tracing through, multiple jurisdictions. Andrew is instructed by the Serious Fraud Office (‘A’ Panel), CPS Central Fraud Group & CPS Complex Casework Unit (Grade 4 Prosecutor), BIS (List A), FCA and leading defence firms. His experience extends in particular to Company, Insolvency and Taxation fraud, and to issues of Insider Dealing. He also has significant experience of Legal Professional Privilege, and of competing interests of joint and common privilege as between companies, directors and third parties – and on a wider basis in respect of those entering SOCPA agreements.
- Operation Learning - co-ordinating investigations arising from the £280 million collapse of the DfES individual learning account scheme
- Operation Digits - the largest investigation by HMRC into tax fraud in the construction industry
- Operation Tumsar - international investigation into $500 million fraud and money laundering led by the Metropolitan Police Anti- Corruption Command
- R v Rosser, Jupe & Ors - the forerunner of the multi-million pound series of international investment alcohol frauds investigated by the SFO (subsequently instructed re investigations into Securitised Syndicated Investments (SSI) Ltd & Vintage Hallmark Plc).
- R V Bradley & Ors - £75 million Collapse of Plc Company.
- R v Smallman & Ors - £17 million Education Fraud.
- R v Price & Ors, R v W & Ors, R v K - Systematic multi-million pound Fraudulent Trading, Insolvency & Companies Act Offences, investigated by BIS.
- Operation Raiment, R v Scragg & Ors - £25m Tax fraud/s and associated money laundering/Perverting Course of Justice.
- R v D & Ors - International Corruption investigation conducted by the SFO.
- R v Meeson & Ors - £5 million Income Tax Pension Fraud devised and implemented by accountants acting as Trustees and Administrators of pension schemes - investigated by HMRC, FCA & tPR.
- R v K & Ors - First Instance; Large Scale Multiple Conspiracies to Defraud Administrators/Receivers of Limited Companies & Perverting the Course of Justice. C Appeal; Reported Case re Scope of Perverting Course of Justice in respect of Breach of Restraint Orders.
- R v M - International Sports Agent charged with tax fraud.
Contact Andrew Wheeler
Phone: +44 (0) 20 7242 3555
Fax: +44 (0) 20 7242 2511