James has a national practice prosecuting and defending in high profile, serious criminal matters and is regularly ranked by the Legal 500 as a leading silk in crime.
He is regularly instructed in murders, manslaughters and sexual offense, including rape, child abuse and historic allegations. His expertise are particularly in demand in cases involving defendants and witnesses who by reason of age and/or physical or psychiatric conditions are particularly vulnerable. He has extensive experience and expertise in cases involving death by arson.
James is always meticulously prepared and thus identifies the crucial issues in any given case. His instruction in some of the most high profile, factually and legally technical cases, for example, multi-defendant murder trials raising issues such as joint enterprise/common intention and cases of “gross negligence” manslaughter involving members of the medical profession, is testimony to the high regard in which he is held both by prosecution and defence solicitors.
He has a successful appellate practice in the Court of Appeal.
James is regarded as an exceptional jury advocate and is renowned for his patience and outstanding client and witness handling skills. His practice encompasses all aspects of criminal law and quasi criminal matters, including murders, manslaughters and sexual offense, including rape, child abuse and historic allegations. He also has experience of judicial review of Magistrates Court and Parole Board decisions.
His approachable nature and expertise are particularly in demand in cases involving vulnerable defendants and witnesses by reason of age and/or physical or psychiatric conditions. He also has particular experience and expertise in cases involving death by arson.
James is always meticulously prepared and thus identifies the crucial issues in any given case. His instruction in some of the most high profile, factually and legally technical cases, in the recent past is testimony to the high regard he is held in both by prosecution and defence solicitors.
- Cash/Pound (2016)– Successful prosecution of two defendants charged with murder
- R v Tingirei and Others (2016)- Defence of male charged with attempted murder
- R v Mayson (2016)- Defence of woman charged with stabbing her boyfriend to death
- Liatkins and Others (2016)- Successful prosecution of man charged with murder
- Op. Horseradish (2016)- Successful prosecution of four men accused of stabbing a man
- R-v J- Prosecution of men accused of an historic murder
- Operation Minoza (2016): Ongoing – Prosecution of 3 men for the murder by arson of 2 teenagers and a 6 month old baby.
- Operation Rubble/Operation Rubytail: Prosecution – Murder of a football coach in Leicester, leading to a revenge attack by arson resulting in the murder of a mother and three children when the ‘wrong house’ was targeted.Operation Silver (2015): Successful prosecution of 2 defendants for the murder by arson of a Russian national
- Operation Milestone (2015): Successful prosecution of 2 defendants for murder and 4 for assisting an offending relating to the gang related killing of the girlfriend of a rival gang member.
- R v Mroz (2015): Successful defence of psychiatric patient charged with the murder of cell-mate.
- R v Taylor (2015): Ongoing – Defence of nurse facing allegation of gross negligence manslaughter.
- R v Ashrafi (2015): Prosecution of male charged with multiple allegations of fraud and blackmail.
- R v Woolley (2014): Defence of individual jointly charged with the ‘gang’ rape of a sex worker.
- R v McGrady (2014): Defence of father charged with rape of his daughter aged 4-6 yo.
- Operations Arlen & Commix (2014): Multi-handed prosecutions concerning ‘Sham Marriages’.
- R v Christie & Others (2013): Defence of prison inmate charged with murder of a fellow inmate, cut-throat defence.
- R v Philpott, Philpott & Mosley (2013): Prosecution of parents for the manslaughter of their six children caused by a fire they set as part of a plan to frame a former partner who had previously lived in the same address with them.
- R v Abraham (2013): Defence of 17 yo Aspergers/ADHD sufferer for rape of a 12 yo.
- R v Hirsi (2012): Defence of male alleged to have murdered a former police officer.
- Operation Hover: Prosecution – Murder of a male in Lincoln by fire.
- Operation Brass, (2012): Prosecution of eight defendants for fraud involving Adult Education Colleges.